Toast in pan or oven:
8 tablespoons slivered almonds / Peanuts8 tablespoons sesame seedsJust keep these on hand to make salad whenever you like
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar (do not substitute another kind of vinegar)
- Note: Mix well all the above ingredients.
- Heat oven to 400°. Place beets in a large Dutch oven or baking dish. Cover and roast for 1 hour, until easily pierced with a fork. Let cool. Remove the skins (they should slip off easily when rubbed), and chop beets.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until transparent, 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Stir in vegetable broth and roasted beets. Bring to a boil, and cook until beets are heated through. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Working in small batches, transfer beet mixture to a blender and purée with ginger, cashews, turmeric, salt, and pepper until smooth. Transfer soup back to pot, and cook over medium heat, until hot. Serve topped with a large dollop of cashew sour cream.